Monday, November 17, 2008

Palin Effect

I am a registered Democrat. No, I'm not one of "those" Democrats - I just don't think Donald Duck has shown he has what it takes to be mayor of Disneyland, let alone President of the United States. I am also a woman.

Sarah Palin, basically a newcomer to the national political arena, impresses me. She told the nation that, as Governor of Alaska, she had no fear of taking on the "good-old boys". This statement is believable to me for a reason many may have overlooked.

Sarah Palin was wearing a skirt when she spoke those words.

I do not live my life in skirts and dresses. To the best of my knowledge, the last time I wore a dress was Gramma's funeral in June 2004. I live my life in jeans and shorts, and I wore the occasional pair of khakis when my former job required.

However, a mother of five told me she is tired of the good old boys' network and she will not play ball with them. Wearing a skirt while doing so indicates she definitely does not belong to the good old boys, and will not pretend to be one of them. Sarah Palin is not afraid to let people know she is a woman.

I spent many years in an industry dominated by the good-old boy attorneys. I was not an attorney, but I was successful. I knew my stuff. I could argue with any of them, and usually won. When I knew I would be sitting down with a male attorney, I made a point of wearing a dress or a skirt. I wanted to be sure they knew that I was a woman, I was playing on their court, and I could play very well.

I have confidence in Hillary Clinton as a politician, but not as a woman. Clinton, in her usual pantsuits, made me believe she was part of the good-old boys. She made me believe that she was one of "them". She gave me the impression that she would be very comfortable sitting in a cigar-smoke filled room, laughing at the little guy while fighting for big business - no matter the rhetoric she spewed.

Sarah Palin makes me believe that she really does have the "little guy's" best interests at heart. Sarah Palin makes me remember that a woman can remain a woman and still battle with men.

Sarah Palin, if the Republican Party wins the November election, will hold no real power. Her greatest responsibility will be casting the deciding vote in the event the Senate is tied. The other thought, of course, is that she would assume the Presidency in the event the President is unable to complete his term. I'm not altogether convinced she is ready for that responsibility.

Sarah Palin has convinced me, however, that she has great potential. She has accomplished some great things in her short tenure as Governor of Alaska. On the evening of September 3, 2008, Sarah Palin accomplished something more important than all of those.

Sarah Palin reminded the world that a woman could remain a woman, and still battle the good old boys.

No comments: